Feel free to use any pictures you would like from my blog, but I would like recognition please!

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Stars Ride in Trochu

Last Sunday, the 9th I went on the Stars Ride.  I had always wanted to ride up there at the ranch but they quit doing trail rides a couple years ago and so was kinda sad and then heard they had been hosting this ride for 26 years and are still gonna do it so I decided I should go.  I had 2 planned but missed out on the Battle River one (stupid reasons) but I raised money for this one so I went.  It was only an hour and a half from home so I just drove up there in the morning.

I got up pretty early and fed the ponies and then loaded up about 7:30 so I could be there around 9.  Worked really well except I thought there would be a lot more people I knew there since not that far from home.  But not a single person I recognized there.  Oh well no worries, I asked a couple next to me if I could ride with them and they said sure.  Well the ride was a leave when you wanted to anytime between 10 and noon.  So that was kinda nice.

We left about 10:30 and rode with a couple other people leaving at the same time.  The one lady had been there all week setting up trail so It was neat talking to her.  The trail was well marked, pretty hard to go wrong.  It was a poker rally as well so there was 5 stops.  The first was up a pretty steep hill and then there was a shorter and longer route and we took the longer route every time.  There was 3 times you could go shorter if you wanted.

Razz was upset about something that day, I have no idea what but by the first poker tent she was soaked from head to tail.  I kept her slow and she wasn't really agitated just kept trying to go faster, which she hasn't done in a long time and rather surprised me.  I thought something was wrong.  I even unsaddled her and checked everything and couldn't find a single thing wrong.  And when we stopped I made her stand and that wasn't a big deal she had no trouble doing that.  Really don't know, unless she was trying to catch up to everyone in front of us. So after a while I just rode by myself and let her walk as fast as she wanted as long as we stayed on the trail and she just walked.  It worked better but she was still in a real hurry.

The whole ride was still very pretty just not as relaxing as I woulda liked but I still enjoyed it.  I visited with lots of different people and learned some cool stuff.  I hear there is another ride on Sept 13 at the Daine's Ranch for cancer but I am running in a 10K race that day so that's not gonna work this year.  Maybe I will make one fundraiser ride a year my goal.  I never stayed for supper since I was done at 2 and supper was at 4-6.  I did put my name in for a few silent auction items but I never got any.  I never got any good hand at poker either, but I never do.  Its a good cause so its OK.

At the end since they are ight at the river lots of people brought their horses to the river to cool them off and have a drink.  I went down there to have a look, I wish we had a nice entry into the river like that.


Shirley said...

What a beautiful ride!

4RRanch said...

Looks like a great ride. I've often wondered how my horses would react to so much wide open space. They always seem more relaxed on a wooded trail.

lisa said...

Sounds like it was a beautiful ride.