Feel free to use any pictures you would like from my blog, but I would like recognition please!

Monday, September 4, 2017

Atlas Coal Mine

So we have lived about 1/2 hour from the atlas coal mine at East Coulee for at least 16 years  And we went one year about 8ish (I cant remember lol) years ago to a ghost walk that was there in the tipple.  Which is where they sort the coal.  Ever since then I have wanted to go to the rest of it so this summer when My Mom and Clint were out I thought was the perfect time.  Neil and Clint went golfing in Rosebud and we were gonna meet them in Drum for supper so we had a couple hours of time left.  And so I suggested the mine, everyone seemed happy about it so off we went.  It was really good.  There was only 5 people in out tour group so that was really nice we got more info and time to ask questions.  My mom didn't take the tunnel tour with us because she didn't think she could walk the 200 steps down from there.   She did a train trip tour instead and said it was really good too.
(Its now a national Historic Site so that's kinda cool)

(the Tipple)

(inside the tunnel, it was hot in here until we actually got in the dirt part, 
then it was chilly but she said about the same temp all year round +5*C)

(looking down from the blacksmith shop)


(the forge)

(and even a power hammer way back when)

 Our Lady took us right through like we were miners, from the showers to the tunnel, through the blacksmith and up and then finally in to the actual mine.  Was at least a 20 minute walk to the mine everyday.  Then they had to go tho the tunnel they were working in, the mine was I believe 8 miles long and 5 miles wide, kinda crazy.  They only worked in the winters and were the cleanest guys around cause the showered every night before going home.  Sounds like a tough life, they recruited Jaret as a blacksmith helper cause he could lift 2 pails of teeth for the cutters and take them up to the blacksmith shop to get repaired.
(the mine plan)

(The tipple from the mine entrance)

(On the way down, you can see the tunnel we came up in on the right side)

(and more tunnel and the mine site, and the train with my Mom in it)

(we all got a helmet and a light from an actual miner that we wore inside, I was number 15, a single German who earned $70.33, not bad pay I musta been a hard worker cause they paid per tone of coal you got out)

Glad I went, even if it took a while for me to get there.

2 comments:

Shirley said...

It's kind of neat visiting historic sites. Have you ever been to the Frank Slide interpretive center? Or Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump? THey are both worth visiting at least once.

Mrs Shoes said...

Isn't it funny how we can live so close to wonders and never appreciate them?