Feel free to use any pictures you would like from my blog, but I would like recognition please!

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Hackmore Hanger

Well I been talking forever about making a new hanger for my smaller bosal.  And I finally got around to it.  I found an old rein permanently attached to a bit I would never use, so that was the one.  It was a nice soft piece and no tears or worn bent spots.  I learned this from Linda a few years ago ( a lot of years if I really think back) when I wanted to put one on my other bosal and since I like the way it looks and its fairly easy I did the same thing.


I start with a piece of leather (I was lucky cause I could measure my old one) and slice a hole in the end where it goes around the bosal, then cut 2 more holes so I could weave it in and out.  Solid and pretty with no metal pieces  :)



Its kinda hard to weave it in and out, while still keeping it flat, but the softer the leather, the easier.  Then a shorter one on the other side attached the same way.

And it just ties like a rope halter, with the end piece facing away from eye.

And it is perfect with those weaves cause the mecarte I got to go with them has the same weaving on the ends of it :)    Tying them is a little harder, whew I really had to think about that!


But now that I look at it and see them done, I want to switch these with my other hanger cause it is thinner and I think would look nicer on the smaller bosal.  Which I could do cause I wanna take my other hanger off and clean the bosal anyways, so that may be my next project.

8 comments:

Emmi said...

WOW! You did a great job :)

Country Gal said...

Looks great . Nice job !

gtyyup said...

Nice! You're right though...the lighter weight leather would probably go better with the small bosal. Looks great though!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

that does look like it works a treat!

lisa said...

Fantastic, good job.

Unknown said...

Great how-to! I've nominated you for a Liebster award - see more here - http://www.aprilscountrylife.blogspot.com/2012/10/ive-been-nominated.html

BridgeEtta said...

You learn good. And tied your own horsehair lines, that's good too.

Shirley said...

Nice job. I'd like to get a light bosal too.