Feel free to use any pictures you would like from my blog, but I would like recognition please!

Saturday, February 18, 2017

2017 Alix Cutter Rally

Last Sunday I loaded up and went out to Alix for there first annual cutter rally.  I had planned to have  a friend come but she came up with some lame excuse for not going so I went anyways more to spite her than for myself but turns out I met some fantastic people there :)

I got there about 10:30 and registration went till 12 so I unloaded and registered, got my hands of poker and then came out and saddled up.  I had parked right beside a lady on a cute buckskin she was riding so I asked if I could tag along with them and they said sure.  She came with a couple and thier Clyde and a cutter.  We all left and it was just the 3 of us travelling together the whole ride.  We saw about 4 cutters and a couple riders ahead of us and everyone else was being us.
(following the sleigh up a hill)

(a funny selfie)

(me in the middle)

(We got a poker stand lady to take this one of us all)

(and us 2 riders)

The snow was heavy and crusty and pretty deep in some places.  I kept off the trail where I could see the stubble most of the trip but Jessie being herself worked harder than she needs to.  One day she will relax but I can't complain at least shes trying :)  I forgot to use my map my run to track it but somone said about 18kms.  Pretty good ride through nice country.  Its not to far from our north place so thats kinda cool.



Afterwards we came in and drew our last poker hands and they had a free hot dog and hot chocolate lunch with a Christmas tree burn.  That was kinda cool but they didn't burn as fast I thought I think they were outside so the needles burnt fast but the trunks and branches were wet.  Kinda cool job for the firefighters to do.
(a paint with a cutter)

(2 more riders)

(a nice team)

(awful pretty mules, hear they were good ones too)

(and always a gypsy somewhere)

(Jess was sweaty so she got a cooler as the wind came up as we got back)

(cool murals on the hall wall, kinda cool there's a cutter in there)

(and she deserved her goodies today,
 while I got rid of her sweat marks and a lot of fur)

And before I left I exchanged numbers with the three people I met who are part of a trail riding group and the invited me along so I am following them on Facebook and the first ride is May 13.  Gotta make a list of what I am doing this summer, its gonna be a full one :)
(really liking this app, only thing it doesn't have it a gps)

Oh and I finally talked to the stallion owner for Jess and he answered all my questions and I his and I just have to phone him in June when I wanna bring her down, easy peasy so far.

3 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I'm glad you found more people to ride with. I've gotten to the point where I prefer to ride alone mainly because I get tired of people bailing out at the last minute or being hours late. When I ride, I usually go on impulse because I realize that I've got an hour or two of free time, and I don't know anyone who can go with me on such short notice. But it is nice to give your horse practice with things like being in close proximity to strange horses, so I still try to get together with people every now and then.

Shirley said...

At lest you are getting out and riding! I wish I could too, gotta wait for the ice to melt and the snow pack to go down a bit.

Mrs Shoes said...

Wonders of wonder, the last 4 days has been a heat wave, 2 more days of temps above zero will see the road safe to ride on for the first time in almost 3 months. I did ride out once in January, but it was just too hazardous with a hot horse & so much ice buildup underfoot.
Super that you found a trail group Crystal, hopefully you'll find a few more folks to ride with (who won't jam out at the last second).