Feel free to use any pictures you would like from my blog, but I would like recognition please!

Monday, December 19, 2011

And Again

Well this morning I got a call from Doug and he wants me to take Kali home cause he doesn't think she will turn out.  He figures she is very cowy, just not athletic enough to be competitive.  So I will go pick her up next week and decide from there what I will do with her.  He figures I should buy either a good 2 year old and train it up or an older horse and just go cutting.  Either way will be expensive I guess I gotta decide how much I am willing to spend to cut now.

I am kinda sad about this, but yet glad that he says so now with 6 weeks rather than waiting forever and just still not turning out.  I may just keep her till spring and ride her and then sell her as a well broke Dual Pep daughter.  Her bloodlines should be worth quite a it although it woulda been better is she woulda done something, but I am hoping I may get what I paid out of her.  Or I sell Razz to Doug as a start on buying a broke horse.  So many decisions to make.

I don't know how much I can spend but a broke horse probly isn't in my budget for this year, might just have to ride what I have and sell a couple and then we will see next year.  Or save all the money that woulda gone into training and more and build my arena.  (which will take more than this years earnings too)  but wont be as fun if I don't have a good horse to ride in the arena.

In other news, I am almost done my Christmas shopping, might go tomorrow or Wednesday somewhere with Linda and spending Christmas Eve with Neils family and Christmas Day with my family.  And we were planning on going to the movies with an old friend and her kids this week, but her oldest broke his thumb snowboarding so not sure if that will happen this week either.

Since I told Char this morning, we looked at this gelding, and she found this mare (Look down to Justa Indian Maiden).  Both outta my price range but still kinda fun to look even if I have no intention of buying right now.  It is still nice to know what is out there.  I will be pretty pciky this time around so it might take a while to find what I like to ride and will be right for me.


fernvalley01 said...

Too bad about Kali, but as you said at least you know now before you invest a bunch more into her . I am sure you will find the right horse soon!

fernvalley01 said...

Maybe you need some spots?

Leah Fry said...

I had to learn the hard way about a horse you love and have high hopes for just not suited to the purpose you had in mind. But she might be good for something else and/or someone else. I hope you find someone who is thrilled with her.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Gee-That's a bummer. And as often as the is the case...the search continues. :(

Shirley said...

I guess you have to evaluate how much you want to get in to competitive cutting. It's an expensive game, and bringing a young horse along costs a lot of money. Kali would probably be fine for showing at local shows and ARCHA shows, but not at the Supreme level- but if you want to go to the Supreme, you may want to go with a seasoned horse- the gelding looked like he is priced at right about what it would have cost for training to get him there. I really liked him, I think I saw him when we were at the Supreme.
The nice thing about a seasoned horse is that you don't have to wait for a couple of years to get a competitive horse.

lisa said...

It is good to find out now rather than later as you said. I am sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you though.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Bummer about Kali. I've never thought about this before, but I suppose looking for working horses is like doing job interviews. Just like a person looking for a job, some may not be well suited for all aspects of a certain position.

Good luck on your search!