Feel free to use any pictures you would like from my blog, but I would like recognition please!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Trail Riding Post Part One

Well I finally made it back from our trip out to the mountains on the blogger trail ride. It was so much fun. I convinced a girl from our barn to go with me and she was pretty nervous, but I think it was a good time over all.

We left from Drum and drove, even Charlene drove for a while, but mostly took pictures out the windows of mountains and the cool color of the mountain water.

We got to Jaffrey and met up with Shirley from Ride a good horse, and we followed her to the base of the mountain where we met up Janice at Own a Morgan and she led us up the mountain. Its a radio controlled road, so she had the radio to let anyone coming down know we were on the road. We had a flat tire just south of Calgary, but not a big deal, we got it changed and kept going, then about 4 kms from camp, another tire was shredded.

This caused the fron tire to go flat as well, so there we were on the side of a mountain with two flat tires and no spare. Luckily one of Shirley's tires fit on the trailer and we limped out way up to the campsite. While Dave took our horses in his trailer.

We finally got there, got the horses out of the trailer and set up the tent.

Our horses spent the night tied to the trailer because there was a community corral, but other people had their horses there and we we uneasy about keeping ours with them. Shirley had a separate pen for Beamer, and Janice and Dave highlined their horses.

Then Saturday morning, I went with Shirley down to Cranbrook and got new tires for my trailer and Charlene went on a ride with Janice and Dave.

The scenery in camp was beautiful, we were prolly about 20 feet from the river, which was the start of the trail.

Both Shirley and Janice brought 3 dogs, so it was kinda chaotic in camp, but they were well behaved.

The dogs were very focused on us throwing the stick for them, especially Sage.

Shirley set up a hammock and the dogs loved it, Charlene and Callie,

And Shirley and Tess in the dark.

Then Tucker (the only dog that wasnt a border collie) and Callie playing with a stick

The view of the mountains was just amazing, I took tons of pictures of them.

8 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Too bad about the tires ,but at least you got the "wreck" over before the trip really started. Seems like there is always something , and you had lots of help . Hope you will be posting more new pics soon

Shirley said...

There is always something good that comes from something bad- at least you now know that trailers shouldn't have car tires mounted on them, and to look for good 10 ply tires in the future. The service at the tire shop was amazing wasn't it. And hey - you got a good shot of Dave's camp shoes in that second last photo!
I really enjoyed meeting you and Charlene and your wonderful horses- they were sweethearts- and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your photos!
Spend much at Frontier?

Janice said...

Glad you made it home safe. Did you make it into Frontier. Looking forward to seeing more pics.

Paint Girl said...

Looks like a wonderful place to go camping with your horses and to meet blogger friends! Beautiful scenery!

Linda said...

Thanks for taking us along.....so sorry about the tires but it sounds like you at least had good service.

BridgeEtta said...

Kind of like blowing a shoe on your horse, those tires. Pretty scenery!

Cheyenne said...

Beautiful scenery!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow! You weren't exaggerating when you said you're tires we're shredded!
I've never seen tires that shredded before!
I'm glad that noone was hurt and the trailer didn't roll off the side of the mountain. Yikes!
What a relief to have some experienced help there to take care of you and your trailer, too.

Love Shirley's hammock! I have one, too...not as nice, though. I've had it for 3 years and have never put it up. I keep thinking that, with my luck, I'll get in it and my big butt will rip it or I'll fall to the ground. gah!
Maybe I should try it anyway? I'll just set it up so it hangs a few inches above the ground. lol!

I'm glad you had a great time. The pictures we're beautiful. And wow! The first part of the trail ride means fjording a river? What an adventure! Fun times!

~Lisa