Feel free to use any pictures you would like from my blog, but I would like recognition please!

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Busy busy busy...

Its been so busy around here the last five days, today I am just staying home and catching up on stuff that needs to be done. Like laundry. and dishes. icky, but I guess they gotta be done.

Monday all the horses got trimmed, there feet are looking good. We start with the worst and work our way up usually. But Razz got done first (usually shes really nervous) but she was really good and just stood like and angel.

Then Dinero.

He is at that stage where he tries anything and everything, he tested my patience a million times that morning, but he spent an hour tied up before Jason got here, so I think that helped a lot. He is too friendly and gets in my face all the time and has no concept of getting out when I ask him. Guess I will have to do something about that. He wasn't bad, but didn't care for the stand for filing.

Then we did Belle and she is always good, for a mare that is fearful and only handled couple times a year, shes really well behaved. She doesn't even need to be tied up and she just stands still. As soon as Jason lifts her front feet, she uses it as an excuse to stretch, every time, its kinda funny.

Then Gypsy who's always good, no matter what we do with her, and George is an old pro. While trimming Gypsy I could see her tummy moving and I think it was the baby kicking. I made Neil look and he saw it too. I didn't know if that's what we were seeing, but yesterday Jardi said you can see them kick and feel it too. How Cool!

While we were trimming George, Razz put her head down and was rubbing on aboard and I never realized there were nails in in, and the nail got caught in her halter and she was lifting the board off the ground. My heart stopped for a second. It was awful. She was a champ, just stood there until I got it unattached and I looked at her face and there was a hole in her lip. Yikes, so even though it hurt, she was soo calm. I called the vet and made an appointment for Tuesday morning.

The guy I got the trailer from had forgotten a brake controller in the tack compartment and asked me to mail it back to him, so Monday afternoon I did that and got plated for the trailer.

Tuesday I hooked up the trailer and was out of the yard before 9 to go to the vet. I wanted to try out my trailer, but sheesh it coulda waited more than 2 days after I brought it home. I didn't check the tires before I left. I know to do thins, and I always do, but for some reason (prolly tired) I never did and I paid for it with a flat tire about 15 minutes into my trip, so there I am on the side of the road fixing a flat tire. Good thing there was a spare and it had air in it. I called the vet to let them know I would be late and I was about half hour late. So much for leaving early tog get there early.

He looked at her lip, the nail went right through and he cleaned it out but figured shed be fine, gave her a shot of penicillin and tetanus and said she should be good, cause lots of place to drain, not like a puncture. Whew I figured, but I didn't want her to have a fat lip forever.

After that we went riding and Bailey is still sore in her loins. She just doesn't want to move out. Walking she seems fine, but trotting she seems to move like shes drunk. Jardi said the only thing to do for sore loins is stretch. So we stretched. She doesn't like that! Stretching forward not so bad, backwards shes awful. I never knew she could be so bad. I guess that's what was hurting. I hope she gets over it. She prolly just hurt herself in the pasture with the other horses, cause even if they don't come near her, she get worried and turns and runs away. So we are keeping her in for a couple days to see if it gets better.

1 comment:

Shirley said...

I have the farrier coming tomorrow:0) Your flat may have been something you picked up on the road after you left, but it is always a good practice to do a walk-around before you leave. I've been seeing the baby kick in my mare as soon as I brought her home at the beginning of March; she is due near the end of April. It's so neat!