Feel free to use any pictures you would like from my blog, but I would like recognition please!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Feeding

When I went to get Shasta the other day, I noticed a few of the ponies looked a little thin.  That is kinda normal this time of year for ponies on pasture, but I don't like it and was feeling bad for them.  Usually I bring them into the corral for a month or so till the grass starts to green up.  But this year we have some stupid old cows there (I wanted to sell them last fall but of course we had to keep them and they are not worth it and probly not even pregnant cause we never got them checked.  And yes I am a little annoyed no one listens to me) 

Anyways there is no corral available for 9 horses to fit in, I have my round pen and 2 smaller outdoor stalls but that's just not enough.  So Neil rolled a bale out there and he will do that every week or so till there are enough heifers with calves we can kick them out then put the horses in.

The horses were quite surprised when he drove out there and started rolling it out.  Quite often he drives out there to go somewhere else and they just get whatever falls off.  I would rather only bring in a few like Duchess and Jazz and Shasta and maybe Bailey cause the rest are doing quite well, but this will have to do for now.  I wish the weather would warm up and stay warm cause as soon as the dugouts are open I can put half (or more) in the north pasture and won't worry about feeding them, but until then I guess they get spoiled :) 

I didn't want to put it in a feeder cause I am sure those who really need it wouldn't get any with so many out there, so rolled out there is lots of room for everyone to eat.

5 comments:

Linda said...

I noticed a couple of the younger horses were a bit thin the other day. We've been feeding them a little but their age must have something to do with it too.

Shirley said...

I bet they all have a happy!

Country Gal said...

At least they are all happy and looking good ! Yup sometimes ya wonder why you have a voice ! Have a good day !

Leah Fry said...

Mine were the tiniest bit light up at the farm, but they have big ole grass bellies now that they've been home. Won't last much longer, but they're enjoying the heck out of it while they can.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

"I wanted to sell them last fall but of course we had to keep them and they are not worth it and probly not even pregnant cause we never got them checked. And yes I am a little annoyed no one listens to me"
Oh yup I hear you on that one! Ask me sometime about K19, or the old Jersey cross, or...
Oh well I be the ponies think they hit the food lottery!